When you are writing about Total Socialism (Total Equalism), you are also making impossible promises. Then why do you criticise Mr. Narendra Modi , or Mr. Chandra Babu Naidu?
1. Total Socialism or Total Equalism will be a success, only if bulk of the 1.3 billion Indians get a paradigm shift in their intellectual thinking. Working Class has to educate themselves. They have to get rid of their habits like alcoholism.
2. Changing and upgrading the intellectual thinking of 130 crore people will take at least 130 years, assuming that a crore population is upgraded every year. But, we must remember that people will not live 130 years. Replacement of populations will take place. For example, Mahatma Gandhi brought some changes in the thinking of Indians, when he led Freedom Movement of India. Thousands of people (satyAgrahis) bore blows of police lathis, quite voluntarily. Thousands of people spun yarn on spinning wheels and wore handspun Cloth (Khadi). This continued for two or three generations and lasted about 60 years. Today, there is no Gandhi-ism, though occasionally some interest is shown by some souls, and some pretentions are made.
3. The same Replacement of Populations theory, applies even to Communist Movement. In the days of Freedom Movement, as well as even in the early Post-independent years, Communists were a live force in Indian Society. Communist and Trade Union workers of those days used to be very much attached and committed to their ideologies, so much that for some of them it became a religion of a sort. All those generations died, or attained decrepit old age.
4. In other words, we may have to concede that, not only should intellectual upgradations take place in the Working Classes, but also they should be carried forward from one generation to another generation, like mutation of genetic characteristics. Continuous reinforcement is an imperative need. For this reason only, at least 130 years, or probably even 1000 years may be required for intellectual self-upgradations.
You may be wondering why I am saying "self-upgradations" instead of simple "upgradations" or "motivated upgradations". Reason: A self-upgradation which takes place in an individual after much contemplation and meditation lasts long, whereas imposed upgradations (they are nothing but disguised brain-washings) will either disappear in no time, or may only continue as "name-sake" fantasies, lacking sincerity and courage of conviction.
5. The Socialismw advocated by Pioneers in India like Late Jayaprakash Narayan, Lohia, Madhu Limaye, et al (There were several Socialist Parties of India, with different hues in 1950s and 1960s) were the Plebeian Socialisms, i.e. they aimed at gradualism. These were nothing but, a sort of imitations, of the Fabian Socialism and the Fabian Society of England of 1st half of the 20th Century. Gradualism has not, and will not work. Gradualism is like counting crows on a tree during dawn or dusk. Nehru's experiments with Mixed Economy was either because of his fancy towards the Fabian Socialism / Fabian Society or, a strategic maneoeuvre (व्यूहात्मक युक्ति వ్యూహాత్మకమైన యుక్తి) to consolidate his rule, against the more active Socialists like Lohia, Limaye, Jayaprakash Narayan, J.B. Kripalani, of S.P., S.S.P., P.S.P., fame.
The problem with or the Fabian Socialism / Gradualist Socialism is byy the time we count crows on one branch of a tree, new crows join, and some existing crows leave. When reforms are made in one Sector, decay sets in another Sector. Even if two steps forward and one step backward type of progress, will make a net progress of one step. But that is not the case with the Fabian Socialism as part of Democracy.
6. India's experimentation with "Mixed Economy" failed, because once there is a replacement of Old Generation of Leaders , with new Generation of Leaders, there is a drastic change in their beliefs and values. From 1950 to 1991, we had series of "Nationalisations". From 1991, till date, we are experiencing "Privatisations".
There is an impression that Fabian Socialism or the Gradualist Socialism has produced Liberalist Billionnaires. Our Liberalist Billionnaires like Messrs. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg are just posers, probably to extract more business from bourgeoisie rulers. You cannot expect compassions and sympathies from man-eaters and blood-suckers.
To continue and revise this, with more proof.. सशेष. సశేషం.